[filmscanners] Survey

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Survey
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:20:33 -0500

I would like to impose on our group for some information about the computers
you use and the types of images you work on. As you may have noticed, I have
been "laying low" as a result of some criticism I received about my
enthusiasm about our products in my replies to the group. So since I am
chewing up some of your time and bandwidth, I offer to provide back to the
group a summary of information I receive. I will not be using the
information on an individual basis for any other purpose than to collect the
data and put it in a summary form.

Please reply to me personally, (jphipps@asf.com) and not to the group.

As I recall, Polaroid conducted a similar survey quite a while ago (back
when David contributed to the group), so I hope precedence is established
and this isn't objectionable to the majority of the group.

Thanks in advance,

Jack Phipps
Director of Technology
Kodak's Austin Development Center
(Formally, Applied Science Fiction)

Your Computer
What processor do you use?
(i.e. Intel Pentium IV 1000, G4 450, etc.)
What operating system do you use?
(i.e. Windows 2000, Mac OS 9, etc.)
How much memory do you have?
(i.e. 512 MB, 1 GB, etc.)

What image editor do you use?
(i.e. Gimp 1.3.18, Paint Shop Pro 8.0, Photoshop Elements 2.0, etc.)

Image Scanning
What percentage of your scans come from film or prints?
(i.e. 90% film-10% prints, 20% film-80% prints, etc.)
What are the typical pixel dimensions of your scans?
(i.e. 3000x2000, 6000x4000, etc.)
What percentage of your scans start as 16 bits per channel scans?
(i.e. 100%, 20%, etc.)
If you scan at 16 bits do you convert to 8 bits before printing?
(yes, no)
Are 16 bit per channel Photoshop compatible plug-ins important to you?
(very important, important, not important)

Digital Cameras
What are the typical pixel dimensions of your digital camera images?
(i.e. 1600x1200, 3000x2000, etc.) What percentage of the time do you capture
16 bit images with your digital camera?
(i.e. 0%, 50%, 100%, etc.)

Thank you very much for your help. I will compile the results and post a
summary in about a week!