[filmscanners] RE: NeatImage

(Big Snip)

> What I don't quite understand yet is the practical difference
> between the Noise Filter Settings and Noise Reduction amounts
> (in the Noise Filter settings tab).  So far, I've been
> leaving the Noise Filter Settings at default, and adjusting
> the Noise Reduction Amounts.  I know that the Noise Filter
> Settings denote how much data is *considered* noise, relative
> to the profile, and the Noise Reduction Amounts denote how
> much reduction is actually applied.  But I don't really
> understand what practical (visual) difference it makes to
> adjust one as opposed to the other.
>
> Can someone explain this?
>
> Thanks,
> --Peter

Isn't that the Big Question? I can't figure it out either! I do know
that there is a Preview mode in NeatImage that no one seems to have
mentioned. Once you have built (or loaded) your noise profile, go into
the Filter Settings tab. Make your preliminary settings, then draw a
selection around a small but critical portion of your image. NI will
then filter the selection and display the result! I forget how I
discovered this, and forgive me if you all already have found it, but it
saves a lot of time and grief.

Les