[filmscanners] RE: scanner dmax discussion

Chuck,

> The "steps" mentioned above have nothing to do with intrinsic
> properties of sensor chips and I doubt that anyone tries to size an A/D's
> lsb to some rms noise level

But that is EXACTLY how the A/D is sized in analog to digital systems.  It
isn't sized less, then you aren't getting all the data that is available,
and if you size it more, then you simply throw the bits away as they are
noise.

> Is/was there a point to this technical thread I stumbled into?

Possibly, but I don't remember what it was.

Regards,

Austin