[filmscanners] Re: scanner dmax discussion

I think there are two important issues that tend to get glossed over in
thinking
about this.  The first is that density is the LOG of the intensity --
not just
the intensity, and the second is that for the most part we're
interested in
the density RANGE -- not just the max.

So with that in mind here's how I see the example:

Say the intensities are: 1,2,3,4,5,6,...15,16
The density range = log(16) - log(1) =  1.2 - 0 = 1.2

Now do the 3 bit mapping:
a) increment by 2:  2,4,6,8,...14,16
     density range = log(16) - log(2) = 1.2 - 0.3 = 0.9
b) go half way:  1,2,3,4,...,7,8
     density range = log(8) - log(1) = 0.9 - 0 = 0.9

The range is exactly the same both ways.  The logarithmic nature
of density throws off our intuitive feel for how the numbers work.

Roy

-
Roy Harrington
roy@harrington.com