[filmscanners] Re: Microtek Artixscan 120tf

Um, the Microtek 120f  IS the Polaroid 120--look at the case!! Microtek was
making it for
Polaroid on a contract basis, and when Polaroid's difficulties forced it to
drop this
product Microtek just started putting its own name on it. It has the same
strengths and
weaknesses it has always had.

It appears the lens has a smaller working aperture than the Nikon--it doesn't
seem to have
nearly the trouble keeping everything in focus. It also has a more diffuse
light source,
which lessens the "Callier effect" that can make true B&W negs block up on the
Nikon.

Weaknesses include no ICE (although the diffuse light source helps de-emphasize
dust, and
there is a software-only dust solution that kinda works) and color
registration. (this one
may or may not be a problem for you, but I sent two units back for this, and
finally gave
up and settled on a third unit that wasn't quite as bad.)

Specifically, even the "not as bad" scanner had areas that were three pixels
out of
registration. Note that this is NOT just a
shift-the-offending-channel-in-Photoshop
problem; it comes and goes in bands, and appears to be a problem in consistency
of movement
of the scan head. It also means that a straight grayscale scan, which scans all
three
channels and averages them, has bands of slight blurring. Oddly, this isn't
very noticeable
in 100 speed film, but on fast film you can see the grain come and go!!  The
fix for
grayscale is to scan as color neg and pick only one channel to use. At this
point you've
got a pretty good scan, better than the Nikon, but if you have very fine,
high-contrast
diagonal lines you may see a little waviness.

To me, the bottom line is that the Polaroid/Microtek is a better B&W scanner,
the Nikon is
better for color.