From: "Karl Schulmeisters" <karlsch@earthlink.net>
To: <karlsch@earthlink.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: scanner dmax discussion

Austin
You are right about the difference between dynamic range and dMax.

But on A/D converters, the simplest way of doing it is very much along the
lines of what you are describing - 1bit/step, but there is no inherent
requirement to do it that way.  As for the linearity of sensors, from the
plots I've seen (and obviously Nikon, Canon et al aren't publishing their
plots for competitive reasons), the devices are linear over a particular
range, and while that is where they try to map the sensor into, at the ends
you get significant non-linearity - noise on the low end and
cascading/swamping/blooming on the high end.

As for driving the scanners into different parts of the curve, I haven't
seen any, and I've punted the question back to the A/D expert that claimed
this to me.  Will have answer soon.

Your point about the minimum step increment being the noise function is
correct.  The hard part is that I don't think the noise function is linear
over the full dynamic range of the sensor so theoretically the step
increments aren't linear either.

Karl