[filmscanners] Re: scanner dmax discussion

As a computer nerd geek with a background in electronics, your analysis of
the mapping of bit depth to DMax is correct.  In fact it goes further than
that, there is no requirement in either electronics or the conversion from
Analog signal to Digital data (A/D converter) for there to be a linear
conversion.  It turns out that a linear conversion makes the electronics a
touch simpler, but that in turn assumes a perfectly linear detector -
something that does not exist.

So in part, the 'wizardry' of the electronics inside the scanner A/D
converters is to try and compensate for the non-linearities of the detectors
themselves.

Note also, most of the detectors have photo response curves not that
dissimilar from film, so by changing their detection threshold, you can
drive them into different parts of the response curve.  Not all scanners
allow you to do this, but in theory it is possible.

So answering your question about the Epson is a bit difficult without
looking at the data stream coming out of it.  There are scanners that allow
you to scale (or autoscale) the image range to maximize the data extracted -
but they are pretty pricey. That said, I would speculate to say that if you
are scanning a negative on most affordable scanners, that has a dMax less
than the theoretical dMax of the scanner, the scanner will simply throw away
the high order bits.

George DeWolf is wrong in his analysis.