From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Bard Martin
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 12:23 PM
To: laurie@advancenet.net
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Umax Film Scanners

Austin  --  I can't tell you anything about the UMAX model you are thinking
of purchasing, but can issue a tentative caveat about the UMAX product
considered generally.  Several years ago I bought their Powerlook 2000 (I
think that is the name), their high-end flatbed at the time.  It was my
first scanner, and I was pretty happy with it except that like all flatbeds
it is inadequate for scanning 35mm. other than for the purpose of creating
snapshots.

In the last few years my scanner has developed various problems, but my
efforts to get any help whatsover from UMAX do not meet with success.  They
do not respond to e-mails, and I cannot get through to them on the phone.  I
have hypothesized that this is because I am asking about an older model (one
which nevertheless set me back several thousand bucks) or that they are
fading competitively and/or easing out of the business.  --  Bard