[filmscanners] "grain" in color film? was Re: Digi, film and scanning in movies

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] "grain" in color film? was Re: Digi, film and scanning in movies
  • From: "Clark Guy" <guy.clark@siemens.com>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:25:33 -0500

.... and don't forget that the dye clouds are what's left in the emulsion
after the color developer step, once the developed metallic silver "grain"
particles are dissolved out of it.  (with "Fixer" for color negative film,
and with Bleach and Fixer in two separate steps for color transparency film
(at least the Ektachrome film I've developed over the years)).

In effect, the dye clouds are the "ghosts", or "molds" or "footsteps" of the
metallic silver particles no longer present!

I'll continue to call the effect "grain", thank you!!!

Guy Clark