[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

I just got this camera a month ago and so really don't have a lot of
experience with it. Perhaps I'm believing the popular hype about it a
little too much, but what I've read is that noise doesn't show up until
you go to ISO 400. But the shots I made in the woods were at ISO 100 and
a few at ISO 200. That's when I first noticed the courseness of the
prints as compared to film scans with my SS4000. Most of my shooting has
been performed indoors at ISO 50 of a Rose-breasted cockatoo, using my
Metz 60 CT-4 flash turned backwards and bouncing off the wall behind me.
I have gotten beautifully sharp images with wonderfully soft lighting of
my bird shooting this way. I also shoot only raw with no sharpening in
the camera, doing it all in Photoshop. I use the Photoshop Camera Raw
plug-in. I have also been setting the threshold at 1. I'll try your
suggested 2 to 4 and I may amaze myself further. At any rate, you can
imagine my disappointment when I saw the shots of the woods with the G3
after getting such outstanding results of my bird indoors.

Maybe I just shouldn't have believed the popular hype about the low ISO
noise shooting faster than 50 (which I have also read is closer to 80).
Well, tomorrow I'm taking the G3 out into the woods again, this time
with a Really Right Stuff G3 plate so I'll be able to shoot everything
on a tripod at ISO 50. Maybe that's what I need to do.

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net