[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

> From: Frank Paris
>
> 22 megabytes is what you get from a raw scan (but 48 bit pixels), so 11
> megabytes by the time you convert it to 24 bits. Compare this with 60
> megabytes from my 4000 dpi scan of the film. Still, people were "saying"
> you could produce great 8x10 inch prints from this G3. If so, I don't
> know how to do it.

Well, sure. The G3 is a consumer digicam, with a typically noisy CCD. Get a
10D, and you'll be able to make staggeringly good prints. Indeed, in low
light, it probably does better than any 35mm film camera. I'm sure the 1Ds
is even better, if you can afford eight grand.

That said, there are things you can do to improve the results with the G3,
including software denoising, and careful adjustment in Photoshop. It takes
a bunch of work, but not nearly as much as dodging and burning with an
enlarger, and stirring pans of chemicals in the dark. Of course, three
megapixels is three megapixels, but sharpness isn't the only criterion of a
good picture.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco