[filmscanners] RE: Digi, film and scanning in movies

On a similar note, I bought a 4 megapixel Canon G3 digicam on the
strength of numerous reports that it could produce high quality 8x10
inch prints. But it can't even begin to compare in subtlety and
smoothness with I get on an 8x10 inch print from an SS4000-scanned ASA
400 speed negative from my analog SLR. Both printed on an Epson 2000P.
Examination with a 3 power glass reveals that the G3 print is blocky
with much less color resolution than the print from a film scan. In
hindsight, all I can say is, duh. What was I thinking? But it's good for
web shots.

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net

http://news.com.com/2030-6683_3-1001643.html?tag=vs4_toc

One quote:

"Warner's Cookson is one of the industry's voices of caution in the
digital production debate. In a demonstration for other studio
executives at the Warner lot, he compares a scene shot using film
against three versions shot with high-end digital cameras. The film
version is markedly better than all three digital versions.

"Its resolution is better, and the way it handles light and shadows
superior. Some of this may simply be the result of viewer conditioning.
The movie-going eye is used to accepting the effects of film. By the
same token, it could become accustomed to digital over time.
Nevertheless, Warner Bros. will not move to all-digital production until
it is certain that the archival copy will be as good as a film
negative."

Bob G