Van: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] Namens Arthur Entlich
Verzonden: vrijdag 13 juni 2003 1:00
Aan: Harry@vdKrogt.nl
Onderwerp: [filmscanners] Re: Noise in Polaroid SS 4000 scans

As it turns out, Harry sent me two scans.  The first one was not the one
on the web as I understand it, the second one, which I got in a second
email is, I believe, the one from the web.

My verdict on the first one he sent stands are grain.

However, the second one is a slightly different story.

It appears that some type of digital processing of this image was done
post scanning, or during scanning. Specifically, the earlier one had its
orange masking on it, while the second one looks like a film profile
(and perhaps other processing) was done on it.  If those images were
taken from the same roll of film, then these artifacts are a result of
the digital processing.  In the second image, I do see many individual
pixels that have considerable and distinct differences.  It looks like
the image may have been over-sharpened causing the grain to be vastly
exaggerated due to the stepwise nature of sharpening algorithms.

Perhaps Harry can enlighten us more of what he did on that second scan
he sent me.

I still do not believe this is noise. The reason being, it is again most
visible in the lightest areas of the negative (the dark parts of the
positive inversion) which is not normal for CCD sensors to manifest
noise in.

If the two scans I was sent are both from the same film stock, same
chemical processing, (they are the same subject matter) then the
artifacting was created in the digital processing of the scan, not by
the scanner or the film, per say.  However, even the first scan is
relatively grainy, IMHO.

However, I do very little shooting with negs, so I'm not the best judge
of grain size norms.

Art