[filmscanners] Topic: Mac Hardware choice for Scan/Photoshop?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Topic: Mac Hardware choice for Scan/Photoshop?
  • From: "Ross Mullins" <rmullins@gci.net>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:58:45 -0800

Hello,

I have the Mac 9500 with a Sonnet G3-500 processor and 512 mb of ram
memory and this works great for scanning from a SS4000. If you added
the G4 processor you mention, that might be even better. Particularly
if you plan to migrate to OS10 at some future time. I recently had my
G3-400 powerbook converted to a G4-500 and it really flies. The
upgrade path is certainly one on the great things about the older
Macs.

Your 1gb scsi primary hard drive is a bit small for most purposes.
But you can easily add an Adaptec scsi card and chain other scsi
drives to that. I have seen 17 Gb and larger drives available for
less that $100  that would work fine for scratch disks and additional
storage.

Of course with your 120gb ATA drive you are probably in good shape.
What card did you use to support the IDE format in that computer?

I also have a beige G3 that I rarely use.

If you stick with the 9500  I do not think you will regret it.

Good luck with your decision.

Ross