[filmscanners] Re: Burned-Out Highlights

I hope someone out there can help me with a problem I have scanning black
and white negatives.

The first film scanner I bought, a Minolta, a couple of years ago, was
inadequate when it came to recording detail in the dense (highlight) areas
of my negatives.  I realized I had to go elsewhere when the only thing a
Minolta tech rep could suggest to solve the problem was to shoot with a
different film.  Perhaps they have improved their product since then.

I now have a Polaroid SprintScan 120.  Using this device I have much better
success with the highlights in my negatives, but the problem does persist
with some of them, to the extent that nothing I do with my SilverFast
software helps.   I haven't tried Polaroid's own software yet, but I suspect
that the problem will persist.

Confronted with a dense highlight when working in a traditional chemical
darkroom, I could easily deal with it by "burning it in" on the print.  On
the scans, however, however far I take the highlight density value down from
255, either in the scan process or in PhotoShop, the scanner has given me no
detail at all to work with.

Any suggestions?  --  Bard