[filmscanners] IT8 calibration for slides

Hi,

A follow-on from the recent postings about Vuescan and IT8 targets, if I
may.

I mainly shoot slides and scan with a Minolta Elite.  Whenever I scan,
irrespective of whether I use the scanner software or Vuescan, the
scans are too dark and need considerable adjustment to get closer to
how they look on the light box.  (This isn't a monitor issue - images from
other sources all look fine - and the histograms of the scans back up the
way they look on the screen.)

I understand that IT8 calibration is mainly to characterise the scanner's
response to the film's coloured dye (thank you Tony for explaining this
so clearly) but I wonder if it would help also getting a better balance
across the shadows and midtones.  Has anyone got any comments or
experiences on this?  And for that matter, has anyone used the IT8
facility in Vuescan?  Does it produce a good profile?

Many thanks,

Al Bond