[filmscanners] Re: HD failure [was RE: keeping the 16bitscans}

Yesterday, I was in my local computer retailer, and was looking at hard
drive boxes.

The older "physical" bearing drives (left over, not newly produced)
still indicated the 3 year warranty on them.

The same brand sporting the new "ultra quiet" liquid or fluid bearing
indicated "one year warranty".

Now, I don't know if this is indicative of:

1) the expected lifespan of the liquid bearing drive is lower

2) the company got so badly burned by the number of returns of the
previous standard bearing drives that they decided to cut their losses
on the new ones, even if they are equivalent or better in reliability

3) new "industry standard" (read: this is how we keep costs down, by
limiting our liability to warranty replacements).

Art