From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <krille@tin.it>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 11:37 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: HD failure [was RE: keeping
the 16bit scans}

I agree; it also refers to a sample population as a whole
or at large
and not to individual hard drives.  Thus, one cannot on
the basis of the
data say what particular hard drive will fail or when it
will fail.  The
same goes for the "start/stop" data; it refers to a
general sample
population and not to individual drives.  To make any such
inferences
from the statistical data to particular individual drives
is to commit
what is know as the ecological fallacy.

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk <> wrote:
> Subject: [filmscanners] RE: HD failure [was RE: keeping
the 16bit
> scans}
>

> A mean time between failure of 300,000 hours does not
mean one
> failure every 34 years.
>
> The MTBF refers to the entire population of hard drives.
i.e. if
> there are 300,000 drives in use then every hour (on
average) one of
> the drives will fail.

here are some
> typical reliability figures for hard drives:
>
> Mean time Between Failure 300,000 hours (ie one failure
every 34
> years)
>
> Start/stops (at 40 deg C) 40,000
<snip>