[filmscanners] RE: keeping the 16bit scans

Frank,
I agree with point three, and so does Robert Meier.  I am afraid that the
source of confusion surrounding this particular aspect of the discussion is
the term "Mirror," which has been used to denote both Mirrored RAID Arrays
and separate and distinct duplicate or carbon copy clone drives which
contain the exact same data as another drive whether that is accomplished
manually via drag and drop, the copying of folders and files from one drive
to another, or someother means.

I agree with your point two, although I suspect that Robert would not.
However, regarding your first point, you are wrong.  Viruses can be an issue
whenever you are dealing with media connected to an operating system -
particularly if that system is connected to the internet.  There are all
kinds of viruses and worms which can attack the sectors of hard drives which
contain all the information about what folders and files are loccated where
on the physical hard drive so that they can be located and retrieved by the
system when they are called for.  Viruses are not merely restricted to
effecting textual materials and files.  Many - if not most - may be carried
by or within textual files, which is how most computer systems get infected;
but they can effect all kinds of files and media.  Having said that,
Robert's worry is sort of silly in the context of this discussion since his
external non-RAID hard drive would be equally suseptible to viruses -
especially if it is always connected to the system and to a lesser degree if
he goes through the hassle of plugging and unplugging it  with every use.