[filmscanners] RE: Scanning for laser printing

Inkjets, for that matter, also are not "continuous tone."  To the best of my
knowledge only dye sub printers are.

In general, I would say that you would not want to scan a B&W negative
(unless it is a line negative or lithographic negative) in 1-bit halftone.
You would probably want to scan it in 8-bit grayscale or even 24-bit color.
Leave any halftoning to the laser printer to do automatically when it
receives the file.  You did not say if the B&W laser printer is a Postscript
Printer or some emulation.  This could effect ones selection of the
appropriate halftone screen to use if one were to incorporate a halftone in
the scan I would think.

My suggestion is to scan the B&W negative in in either 8-bit grayscale or
(my preference) 24 or 42 - bit RGB at the same resolution (dpi/ppi) as your
laser is capable of (300, 600, 1200, etc. dpi) if at all possible -
otherwise at a minimum of 300 dpi/ppi.  Do your image editing and unsharp
masking in your image editing software like Photoshop ( not your scanner
software) and send it on to your printer to print, letting the printer
determine the proper dithering or halftone to use which fits or is
appropriate to the printers capabilities so as to render the file as a
grayscale print.