[filmscanners] Re: keeping the 16bit scans

"Ed Verkaik" <verkaik@sympatico.ca> asked: "I've been scanning slides on
the 4000ED, correcting, then saving the 16bit files as my masters. It's
beginning to get crowded on my h.d.  My reasoning for keeping 16bit
rather than 8bit was because I figured if I had to do a little more
adjusting of curves, etc. then the files would handle it better. Am I
right?  What's the difference in likely outcome (quality) if I did
further (minor) edits on a 16bit/110mb instead of an 8bit/55mb file?
Rescanning of these would require up to an hour each of spotting because
they're older Kodachromes so it comes down to storage space vs risks on
quality."

Why don't you make some tests with some of the images and see if you can
tell any difference? Some folks will tell you that you can't tell any
difference, and some folks will tell you there will be a difference.
Find out for yourself on your images. (I'm in the "can't tell any
difference" camp.)

Preston Earle
PEarle@triad.rr.com