[filmscanners] Re: 8bitsvs.16bits/channel:cantheeyeseethedifference

on 3/21/03 10:58 AM, Paul D. DeRocco at pderocco@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>> From: Roy Harrington
>>
>> I tried your particular construction and by sheer coincidence the numbers
>> you get happen to be an almost exact match of 16 bit versus 8 bit.
>> 0xAAAA is the exact mapping of 0xAA so when you converted, it was
>> extremely
>> close.  When I tried it I actually got .26% of the pixels to come out 169
>> with the rest all being 170.
>>
>> 8 bit goes from 0 to 255 (in hex 0xFF)
>> 16 bit goes from 0 to 65535 (in hex 0xFFFF)
>>
>> Both the black and the white points must match in mapping, 0 to 0 is
>> trivial but 65535/255 = 257 so you need to multiply 255 by 257 to convert
>> from 8 to 16 bit.
>
> You're right! I had assumed that they divided by 256, not 257. I stand
> corrected. When I repeated the test to produce numbers that are not
> multiples of 257, it did indeed do some dithering.
>
> What's odd is that in RGB mode it dithers all the colors with the same
> pattern. You'd think they'd use uncorrelated dither noise for the three
> colors.

Interesting.  Maybe they figured there was a possibility of color
artifacts showing up.  I assume you mean an RGB where R=G=B ?  If they
were different the dithering would have to be different, too, wouldn't it?

>> Here's a much easier construction that will show what you want.  Fill the
>> canvas in 8 bit mode -- say Gray=128.  Convert to 16 bit now you have an
>> exact 16bit representation of an 8bit value.  Now do a very minor Levels
>> change.  Set the white point from 255 to 254.  That will nudge every gray
>> value X = X*(255/254).  So 128 will go up by a half, if you had picked
>> Gray = 85 to start it would go up by a third, ... etc.
>>
>> Now convert to 8-bit and see the dithered pixels.
>
> What I'd like to know is how you managed to convert from 8bpc to 16bpc. You
> must have a different version of PS, because mine doesn't let you do that.
> I'm using v7.01 for Windows.

That's strange.  I've always been able to change the mode to 16bit.  You
can't have any layers of course.  I'm using PS 6 and 7 on both Mac OS 9 and
OS X.

> --
>
> Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
> Paul                mailto:pderocco@ix.netcom.com