[filmscanners] RE: Adaptec USB2 to SCSI

filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk <> wrote:
>> using Adaptec's USB2Xchange USB2-to-SCSI converter ....
>> This adapter, if it works well, looks to be a more attractive option
>> than installing a SCSI card just for the scanner.
>
> Inexpensive SCSI adapters will handle a scanner, one that is possible
> to boot from isn't needed so would imagine could find one for under
> $20.
>

> Charles
While I agree with Charles, it should be noted that some SCSI devices
(particularly older ones)sometimes have difficulty working under WINXP
using its SCSI drivers and ASPI layer facsimile.  This I found to be
especially true with SCSI cards that do not allow one to boot drom them.
No matter how hard I tried to install an Adaptec ASPI layer for a
non-bootable SCSI PCI card for a scanner, I had extreme difficulty
installing the layer without causing a conflict between it and the WIN
XP layers and drivers as well as getting the card to recognize and use
it.  I finally put in a bootable SCSI PCI card and the scanner saw it
and worked, Althopugh WIN XP needed to recognized it as a new device 8
time and list it in the Decvice Manager 8 times before it would function
using the scanner twain driver.

The problem with USB to SCSI, Parallel, or Serial  adapters (let alone
USB 2.0) is often compatibility withe the particular device.  It seems
that one size does not fit all.  Secondly, USB 1.1 would be slower than
SCSI as might USB 2.0 if several devices are sharing the hub.  I mention
the USB 1.1 only because even though you might install a USB 2.0 card,
the SCSI device you connect may default to USB 1.1 and be compatible
with only that standard.

---