[filmscanners] Drum Scan for 3200 TMAX?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Drum Scan for 3200 TMAX?
  • From: "Sean Reid/Northeastern" <sreid@sover.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:31:59 -0500

Hello,

I haven't posted to this list for a couple of years now because since late
2000 I've been doing all of my work with Canon digital SLRs (first the D30
and now the 1Ds).   I'm now, however, in the first stages of preparing a
book project that will involve scanning at least 50 pictures made about ten
years ago on TMAX 3200 black and white film.   I'm wondering if good drum
scans can give me much better quality than what I'd get scanning the
negatives on a 4000 dpi scanner such as the Canon FS4000.  I'm thinking
that at 4000 dpi, the grain structure of the film will already be readily
apparent and I'm not sure what a drum scan could pull from the negative
beyond that.  Dynamic range for the Canon is said to be 4.2 which should be
plenty for the work I'm scanning.  I haven't yet bought the FS4000 and any
thoughts or ideas are welcome.   Please feel free to e-mail me directly as
well at sreid@sover.net.  Many thanks.

Sean Reid