[filmscanners] IT8 calibration queries

Hi,

I've got a Minolta Elite and tend to generate raw scans via the Minolta
software and either use the canned Minolta profile or process the file using
Vuescan.  The Minolta profile is pretty good but, now that Vuescan has IT8
calibration faclilties, I'm tempted to get a 35mm target and see if it makes a
difference in scan quality.

I've been mulling over some practical questions and wondered if anyone has any
thoughts:

(a) Multiscanning reduces noise which will alter the colour balance in the deep
shadows.  (On my Elite, it cleans up the green channel quite a lot.)  To get
the best shadow accuracy, should a profile be created for each multi scanning
setting?

(b) The raw scans from Vuescan and the Minolta software are subtly different -
it looks as though each calibrates the scanner slightly differently.
Logically, a different profile would be needed depending on which package
generated the raw file.

(c) Most IT8 targets are for Ektachrome but I notice that Coloraid also do Fuji
targets.  How much practical difference does it make getting the closest target
to the film stock you shoot?  (I normally use Fuji Sensia.)

Thanks,

Al Bond

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £14.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890