[filmscanners] RE: 'unsubscribe filmscanners_digest'

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: 'unsubscribe filmscanners_digest'
  • From: "Haydn" <haydnthomas@samarts.com>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:47:55 +0700

-----Original Message-----
From: filmscanners_Digest_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_Digest_owner@halftone.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 7:00 AM
To: haydnthomas@samarts.com
Subject: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Sat 1 Mar, 2003

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:46:27 -0800
From: Dieder Bylsma <scanners@spacemoo.com>

>Is the auto strip feeder in the LS4000 significantly different in
>design to the LS30/2000?  I stopped using it when I found out that
>strips tended to curl in the machine, and the frames at the end of a
>neg strip ended up horribly out of focus on one side.  It worked ok on
>frames in the middle of a strip.

yes it is.

whereas in the LS30/2000 the film feeder rolled up the film at the
end of the self-contained unit into one tiny little roll, the LS-4000
has a completely different design with its strip feeder. I can only
speak with certainty about the LS-4000 since that is what I have.

With the LS-4000, the path of the film is set to go straight
*through* the film scanner to the other end where a roll-film
attachment can be attached to handle spools of up to 40 frames
(standard 36 frame roll of film). Even when it isn't being used to
handle long strips of film, because there is more leeway at the back
of the scanner, so long as the film is relatively flat when it enters
the scanner, it will stay flat. The scanner will not make it more
curly like it did with the PITA LS-30 strip film feeder attachment.

hth,

Dieder

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:49:09 +1100
From: Julian Robinson <jrobinso@pcug.org.au>
Derek - your results sound pretty good, if your DOF is the same as mine
(sorry I don't remember your DOF result).  Your auto feeder seems to be
excellent, I want one.   The manual holder result is the same as mine.

Re Rob's question - I think I remember that there is a significant
difference between the LS4000 autofeeder and LS30/2000, but don't
remember
what.  Does the LS4000 feeder manage to keep the film straight unlike
the
LS30/2000 which curls it up into a tight spool?

Julian

>Didn't find much difference btwn the auto strip feeder and the manual
>strip holder when it came to total focus plane variation on the same
piece
>of film.  They were quite close, but the autostrip feeder actually
proved
>a little bit better at a delta of 16 nikon units vs. 21 nikon units for

>the manual holder.
>
>Am planning on measuring same with both a glassless and AN glass slide
>mount for further comparison.
>
>Thanks and sorry for the delay.
>
>Derek

Julian
Canberra, Australia

Satellite maps of fire situation Canberra and Snowy Montains
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/cbfires/fires.htm

-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:41:56 +1100
From: Julian Robinson <jrobinso@pcug.org.au>
Robert - your figures for the compression ratios fo JPEG2000 seem very
low
to me, I am interested to know why.  I get more towards 2:1 mostly, with

the worst figure ever around 15% and an average around 40%.  You get an
average around 12%.  Perhaps my images are lacking detail, or are yours
especially grainy? Not criticising, just would like to have a handle on
all
this.

 From my own part-finished investigation, I think I agree with Paul that

compression to about 20% seems to give results that are pretty good even

for archival purposes.  Although I can see a difference if I look very
hard
at the blown up image, it is really only obvious even blown up to 2-300%
or
so and not visible to me at normal viewing.

The one thing I did notice was that the fnord plug in with Photoshop
gives
surprisingly different results from the Lurawave add-on to Irfanview at
the
same compression ratios.    What I noticed was that doing a 10% size
save
showed the fnord result through photoshop to be very noticeably worse
than
the lurawave result through irfanview.  Fnord exaggerated motley skies
and
made slight differences to detail like hair.    The two files are the
same
size within a few bytes. (To objectify the difference between original
and
compressed, I layer the two images, take the difference (almost a black
image) then expand that difference image by tweaking the upper limit in
"levels" from 255 to 4 or 8.  This gives you an exaggerated version of
the
difference image.)

I don't even know which bit of software makes the difference although I
suppose it is the plugin (fnord or Lura), not the mother program (PS or
irfanview).

The other thought is that if you get only 12% or so compression, and I
get
50%, then obviously different files cope better with compression.  So,
maybe it is not such a good idea for us to compress to a set file size
like
"10%", but we should really be compressing to a standard quality?  If
this
is true then it becomes more problematical because lurawave's 95%
quality
setting is nothing like the same compression or quality as fnord's 95%
quality setting - they use completely different parameters for quality.

Still investigating, but it seems to me that archiving at 5:1 is looking

pretty good as a real life compromise.

Julian