[filmscanners] Re: SS4000--need help troubleshooting

Stan,

I too use the SS4k with Win2k; I used to use it under Win98SE. Under W98, I
could fire up the scanner at any time, tell the OS to rescan hardware to
find it, and then proceed to use the scanner with any scanner application.
Since Win2k has been installed, I never know whether I must have the
scanner powered up prior to Win boot. Sometimes a rescan of hardware
devices (without reboot) will detect the film scanner; sometimes it will
not be seen correctly by the OS. To further complicate things, sometimes
the hardware rescan will allow Vuescan and Polaroid Insight to correctly
see the SS4k, while Silverfast will not detect it's there. One way around
this last scenario is to bring up Insight, let it see the scanner, and then
shut it down and try Silverfast. Silverfast will then usually detect the
scanner.

There's something really strange about the way Win2k handles devices that
show up after boot; you just have to let it have it's way. I can't say much
about the different delays you're experiencing, since my entire system is
SCSI based, with three controllers and a number of different drive types
and scanners (Hard drives, CD-R, CD-RW, multiple scanners, Zip Drive). Some
delays are inherent in startup of a system like this, and they may or may
not be similar to what you're seeing. I doubt very much that your opening
(and subsequent repair) of the scanner has anything to do with the current
recognition issues.

On a side note, did your SS4k appear to have a fixed or hinged mirror
assembly? Someone else here had described cleaning out the SS4k and
mentioned a moving mirror. I did a fairly complete tear-down and cleaning
of my unit a while back and found a fixed mirror. The film carrier unit
handles all the movement with no need to move the mirror. I was pretty
confused, and he never did reply back to my inquiry.

Cliff Ober