[filmscanners] Using a digital camera as a "scanner"

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Using a digital camera as a "scanner"
  • From: "HPA" <tom@historicphotoarchive.com>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 17:19:56 -0800

I use a Nikon Coolpix 885 and an old Nikon slide copier attachment.  I am
able to quickly get digital files from old slides, as well as motion picture
film.  For medium and large format negatives, I use the Nikon on a copy
stand and shoot over a light table.  It is good enough to print out an 8x10
inkjet print that is decent.

This is the fastest way I know to get access copies.  I am able to do 90 an
hour, if a client wants to see a whole group I can shoot them all, use a
batch action to invert the negative to positive, and burn them a CD for
their selection.  you can batch action the color corrections, levels, or
grayscale.  It is many times faster than scanning.
good luck
Tom robinson