From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of snsok@cox.net
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 12:52 PM
To: TMaugham@yahoo.com
Subject: [filmscanners] SS4000--need help troubleshooting

I took my SS4000 apart a while back to blow dust off the mirror. In the
process, I broke loose one of the wires to the upper microswitch on the
inside of the front door. I was able to solder it back on and the scanner
seemed to work OK.

I just tried to do some scans today after a several week hiatus. Here are
the problems. I have a Dell 930 Pentium III with a SIIG SCSI board. The
scanner is the only external device. I have an internal JAZZ drive that
works fine. OS is Win2000.

1. With the scanner turned off, the computer starts fine and seems to run
OK. A SCSI Bus scan shows no device on SCSI ID#4, the ID set on the back of
the SS4000.

2. If I turn the scanner on before booting, the computer will delay several
minutes as the SCSI ROM is being loaded right after the Video card ROM
appears just after bootup. It will continue to load but when the low-res
"Windows is starting up..." red/white/blue screen starts, the progress bar
freezes about 2/3 the way through.  If I shut down the ss4000 at that point,
Windows will continue to load almost immediately.

3. One nice thing about the SS4000 has been that you can turn it on anytime
the computer is up and running and start scanning without having to reboot.
When I boot the computer now with the SS4000 off, and then later turn it on,
the computer experiences periodic freezes for a few second.

4. I tried to reinstall the ss4000 firmware after booting with the scanner
off and turning it on post-boot. The SS4000 firmware program reports it
can't find the device.

5. I have an HP 4C SCSI scanner that is running fine. They are not strung
together; I simply move the SCSI cable between these two devices. I presume
the SCSI cable is OK because the HP operates normally.

6. I just reopened the SS4000 and all the connectors are seated properly and
the soldered wire is still holding fast.

Any ideas or suggestions? Time to send the SS4000 in for repair? If the
repair is really a minimum of $400, perhaps I would be better off purchasing
a different scanner. This one was made in April 1999.

Thanks in advance,

Stan Schwartz