[filmscanners] RE: Digital camera topics on this list (was:CanonIDsvs Pentax67II)

I suppose there are some that are just enamored with the idea of using
their film scanners as an end in itself and they would not be interested
in the digicam state of the art. Perhaps you are one of them, and
everybody has a right to engage in a hobby for its own sake, no matter
how -- arcane, to borrow a term recently used (film scanning is hardly
"arcane" yet, but I suspect it will become so down the road someday).
But I'll bet there is a sizeable membership here that is interested in
film scanning for practical reasons: this group wants to be able to get
every last bit of information out of film and into digital form, for
purposes of making high quality prints or passing their images around on
the internet. For these people -- and I am one of them -- the film
scanning process is just a means to an end. Now if a new technology
comes along that does the same thing and as the months and years creep
along keeps getting better and better and more cost-effective, this
audience is going to want to know about that technology so they can
judge for themselves when it makes sense for them to switch over,
because of quality, cost, and efficiency. And what group is more
qualified to comment on this encroachment than the scanner experts on
this list? I'll bet there's no other list in the world that is more
qualified to observe and comment on an "encroachment" that would
naturally be of high interest to anyone interested in capturing
state-of-the-art digital images.

Frank Paris
frankparis@comcast.net