[filmscanners] RE: Canon IDs vs Pentax 67II

> From: Karl Schulmeisters
>
> There is another aspect of digicams that should be driving their prices
> lower than they have been so far:
>
> Shutter cycle life.  The best shutters in the world have a
> theoretical cycle
> life of around 300,000 cycles.  Practical shutter life spans are closer to
> 150,000-200,000.    So on a $2000 digicam, that works out to be around
> $0.01-0.02/shot.   Digital has a tendency to encourage 'blaze-o-matic'
> approaches to photography because of the perception that 'film is free'.

I'm not sure if this is true, because digicams don't rely upon the
mechanical shutter to do all the work. I think they have a simple shutter
that opens up for a comparatively long time, but then they rely upon the
electronics in the CCD to sample the light for a much shorter period. Those
shutters may therefore be more reliable than the fancy focal-plane
moving-curtain shutters used in SLRs.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco