-----Original Message-----
From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Tony Sleep
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:37 AM
To: TMaugham@yahoo.com

Tim Schooler wrote:

> Folks, please pardon my intrusion, but does anyone actually run this
> list?
> Apparently the unsubscribe commands are not functioning properly, I see a
> number of people are having the same problem. Can anyone help?

Actually, people are subscribing and unsubscribing successfully all the
time.

In your case the command is failing because you are not following the
instructions. You are just sending 'unsubscribe' instead of 'unsubscribe
filmscanners_digest'. Naturally the listserver doesn't know what you are
trying to unsub from, it ain't psychic. I will unsub you manually.

Others  are sending typos, HTML or from non-subscribed addresses. To date,
I have seen just one instance of the unsub command failing for no obvious
reason.

The admin round here is crap, but I have an excuse. Unfortunately I am
currently fielding vast amounts of spam thru' having a very public email
address  - 280 in my personal mailbox in 24hrs, last week,  despite
upstream Brightmail filtering which interdicts around 70%, and some local
filtering too. But spammers are also attempting to send to the list -
totally unsuccessfully, it doesn't go anywhere except the listserver reject
mailbox which is also where failed sub/unsub msgs end up. There's >800
amassed since last Friday, nearly all spam. This all adds a huge amount of
housekeeping effort, as there is no way to tell a failed unsub attempt from
a spam attempt except by reading the message text.

If anyone can get these bastards on the 'axis of evil' target list, I shall
be forever grateful.

Regards

Tony Sleep - http://www.halftone.co.uk