[filmscanners] RE: JPEG2000 > Paul

http://www.fnordware.com/j2k/ This one is free. AFAIK this one is based on
kakadu which is one of the best and cheapest j2k codecs available. There is
another free PS plug-in one but I forgot the URL.

> I use LuraWave's,
>which was
>fairly inexpensive.

I tested their codec about 1/2 years ago. It's one of the slowest j2k
encoders I have found. Also their customer service is pretty bad and prices
for the SDK are quite steep.

>As to quality, JPEG2000 gives better quality than regular JPEG for a given
>amount of compression, or better compression for a given quality.

It's only minimal for low compression ratios. Regarding compression ratios
j2k shines for high compression ratios.

Robert