[filmscanners] RE: 16 vs 8bit scans

> From: Austin Franklin
>
> Please be careful when you claim that.  For color, and with your caveats,
> that is correct...but for B&W, that is not.  Tonal manipulations
> should not be done to 8 bit data.

Gentle curve manipulation will at worst coalesce two adjacent numeric values
into one, or separate two previously adjacent values by two. I'm not sure
that's enough to be visible. I don't think I can see 2lsb steps on my
monitor, or my printer. But you're certainly right that you run into the
problem sooner on B&W than on color, because the posterization boundaries
don't line up on the three colors.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco