[filmscanners] Re: Canon IDs vs Pentax 67II

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> wrote:

I'm kidding... I am also surprised by the results.  The drum scan does
show a lot more resolution than his Imacon scan.
<<<<<<<<<<<

I'm not sure _what_ we've seen. I'm guessing, but I think that (other than
the grain and dust examples) all he's shown us are _scans from his prints_.
He hasn't shown us unresized crops of the same sections of the image from
the three systems.

If his result is "the 1Ds is good enough for my purposes up to 12x13", there
shouldn't be any surprise. If his result is "MF is only significantly better
at 16x20 and larger", there shouldn't be any surprise.

But if he's getting more detail on his 12x16 prints from the 1Ds than from
MF, the he's doing something seriously wrong in the printing. Even I'm not
that bad.

  And the close up shows
that there is no detail on the windows from the digital while the film
has a good amount.
<<<<<<<<<

Exactly. (Although those are probably different sections of window: the
crossbars would be visible in the 1Ds image. Still, there's about a factor
of 3 difference there.)

Focus wrote:

> I do, however stand behind the part about the Pentax having to resolve
less than 30 lp/mm to get
> outresolved by the Canon
> (and um, it should be 30 not 29 as in the original post--I should have
> divided 2700 by 24, not 25.2, but it's not really significant).
Something's gotta be wrong.
<<<<<<<<

Yes. But you've overestimated the 1Ds. In actual tests, it only resolves
2000 lph, or 42 lp/mm. So 6x7 only needs to resolve 25 lp/mm or so to equal
the 1Ds, and 40 lp/mm should kick the 1Ds' butt. Assuming you can get that
resolution onto the print.

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan