[filmscanners] Re: Filmscanners - is this about as good as itgets?

Hi Robert and Paul,
    I specialize in floral photography and the pink cast which occurs is
called anomalous reflection or the ageratum effect. ( you really see the
effect when photographing the floss flower [ageratum houstonianum] under
direct sunlight) Instead of blue, film will record the colour as pink or
purple. Nevermind the names; the reason that this occurs is because film
sees colours differently than our eyes do and the film is more sensitive to
the infrared end of the spectrum.
    To correct for this, you need to mount a mid-blue filter. A deep-blue
produces too much cast over the whole image and a light-blue filter isn't
enough for any improvement. If no filters are available, make some shade
over the flower and the effect goes away since it really requires direct
light to manifest itself.
    If a digital CCD or sensor mimics film, the effect can happen but this
is usually an effect of film.
Hope this is useful.
Owen

Owen P. Evans