[filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Filmscanners - is this about as good asitgets?
  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:53:24 -0500

Arthur,

> Although I have yet to use a Foveon, as I understand it, the suggestion
> of night scene problems...

It's hardly a "suggestion", but a well discussed problem, according to users
of this camera who post on public discussion boards, and from pictures I've
seen demonstrating this problem.

> with the Sigma digital camera relate, not to the
> Foveon chip, but due to the firmware Sigma provided.

Even a sensor problem has a high potential to simply be "fixed" (to some
degree at least) with firmware, which doesn't mean it's not a sensor problem
in the first place.

BTW, where did you get the information that it is a firmware issue, and has
not a thing to do with the sensor?  I had not heard that, and would be
interested in the information.

> To quote some  "Austinisms"...

Sorry, but I can not take credit for being the first one to simply ask for
substantiation or clarification of a claim.  I typically never mind
providing some basis for claims I make in a productive technical discussion,
and typically, most other people, who actually have some basis for their own
claim, don't mind either.  Most people who are interested in understanding a
topic just don't blindly believe a claim that does not fit with their
understanding.  Hence, the request for more information.  That isn't an
insinuation about anyone at all, so don't take it as such, merely a
statement of common protocol in a technical discussion.

> "What do you base that claim on?" and "do
> you have proof of your statement?"

>From the SD-9 discussion boards, posted by people who actually use the
camera, it is posted that this is a well known issue, and there are many
images posted on the web that display this problem.

Austin