[filmscanners] RE: how to scan 'red' 'green' or 'blue' lights?

> From: snsok@cox.net
>
> I prepared two examples and taught myself a lesson in the process.
>
> Here are two images:
>
> http://www.tallgrassimages.com/test/Azalea_example.tif
>
> This is a snip from a full-res scan on the SS4000. The film is
> either Velvia
> or Ektachrome Elite Extra Color (I have the slide filed away and I didn't
> label the scanned image). I included some surrounding foliage for
> comparison.
>
> Working with this image in Photoshop (Adobe98 colorspace), it
> appears overly
> saturated with the reds of the azalea blocked up.
>
> After I FTPed this image, I looked at it on my website with Internet
> Explorer. My system uses a QuickTime plugin to view TIFFs. I assume what I
> am seeing with QuickTime must not be color managed as the colors are much
> less saturated and yes, as Paul suggests, I can see much more
> detail in the
> reds.

I see what you mean. Yes, the blockiness comes from the image having a very
wide gamut in the reds, much wider than can be represented on the screen.
Even just turning down the saturation with Hue/Saturation brings back the
detail. The detail is lost regardless of which CMM I use (Adobe or
Microsoft) or what I set the rendering intent to, which belies the myth that
the rendering intent successfully compresses the gamut to prevent the loss
of detail.

It's possible that some printer may have a wider red gamut than the screen,
and could represent the detail without desaturation, but my limited
experience is that inkjets don't excel in that area. However, what I
suggested in my previous post, using Hue/Saturation and selecting just the
red colors to desaturate, seems to work very well, without degrading the
greens.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco