[filmscanners] Re: Film spotting...

Hi Frank and all,

Regarding these spots, are they by any chance white specs, approx 0.01 to
0.1 mm? I find them on the film sometimes, but it definitely depends on the
lab, some of the labs I've used have lots of them, others nearly none
(prefer that one, obviously...).

I think it's some kind of chemical residue from development or thereabouts,
but can't say for sure, since I haven't collected them and analyzed ;-)

They do seem to stick quite well to the film, but careful "poking" at them
will dislodge...

A friend who uses more slide film than me says that the same lab that gives
lots of spots on the negatives for me, hasn't got them on the positives, so
development process may very well have something to do with it. (Or it
could be that the different lab used for different types of film, of
course...).

Funnily enough, the lab that does the almost "spotless" film is a little
one-man band, and happens to be pretty cost effective compared to the
chemist down the road from them that sends the film away, which in turn is
better priced than the big chain chemist with in-house equipment. The two
chemist labs are about equal on "spotiness".

Just my thoughts on the subject...

--
Mats