[filmscanners] RE: Newish Digital Tech

Hi Paul,

> But _any_ pixelated sensor will alias if it doesn't have a
> diffuser in front
> of it. The point of the Foveon chip is that the aliases are the
> same for all
> colors, so you don't get color moire from a monochrome texture.

I haven't seen this as an issue for many years, and certainly isn't an issue
with the Canon D30/60, Nikon D1X, 100 etc.

> However, the really good Bayer decoding algorithms, like Variable
> Number of
> Gradients, are very CPU intensive.

Why must you decode them in the camera?

> The camera itself is capable of doing the conversion, plus JPEG
> compression, in much less time, so I suspect the camera's using a simpler,
> inferior algorithm (although I haven't noticed any artifacts).

Or...doing it with an exceptional algorithm, or using hardware as well to
implement parts of the algorithm.

> > Color rendition is problematic in the SD9...
>
> That may just be an implementation problem with that particular camera.

Or an issue inherent in the use of silicon as the "filter", and having the
"filtration" stacked.

Regards,

Austin