[filmscanners] Re: Re:scanner purchase

"Tim Schooler" <tschooler@cox-internet.com> wrote:

I saw a huge difference in image sharpness and detail moving from
an Epson 2450 to a Nikon 8000 for medium format scans. Shadow detail
is as you say greatly increased, but I can't believe how much of
a difference in resolution I saw.
<<<<<<<<<<

Yup. That was my experience too. I also found that the 2450 would flare with
high contrast images, reducing saturation and "pop" in the areas surrounding
bright objects. The 8000 does much better.

However, for 8x10s from 645, the 2450 does do a lot better than even the
best consumer digital (the Sony F707), so I expect that the slight
improvement the Epson 3200 offers may be enough to reduce the number of
people moving from the 2450 to the 8000...

By the way (feel free to flame me on this), I find "shadow detail" _vastly_
overrated. It looks to me as though slide films have substantially lower
resolution in the shadows, and that the only thing that's there is mush.
(Rather than flames, I would appreciate comments on when shadow detail is
useful.)

David J. Littleboy
davidjl@gol.com
Tokyo, Japan