[filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations

scribjs@scribnerdesign.com wrote:

> Okay, I found an example of slide vs. negative film for your viewing
> pleasure and posted them on my company site.  You can download them from:
> http://www.scribnerdesign.com/negative.jpg
> http://www.scribnerdesign.com/slide.jpg
>
> Be aware... these are 2Mb and 1.4Mb respectively.  The scans show a lot of
> dirt and I did not make any corrections.  Both were scanned on an LS4000 at
> 4000dpi with NikonScan 3.1.2, auto exposure, auto focus.  Both were
> compressed as "medium" in Photoshop 6.
>
> The negative is Kodak Gold 100 (okay, there's better choices)
> The slide is Fuji Sensia 100 (again, not the best, but comparable)
>
> Unfortunately, the lighting changed slightly as did the framing.  I think
> the slide was exposed first, in slightly lower light but my memory is fuzzy.
>
> The same lens was used, but different bodies.  Nikon N70 for the negative
> and Nikon FE2 for the slide.  Sorry, I did not recorded the original
> exposures.  However, given the lack of depth I'd guess I was shooting about
> F5.6.

It may have been the same lens, but I assume it was a zoom lens, because
they are definitely not the same zoom ratio.  The lighting difference is
also fairly major, as can occur quite rapidly with side lighting in the
mountains.

Anyway, thanks for posting this, because I was just bemoaning all the
boxes and boxes and cabinets of mounted slides I have here, and thinking
how nice and compact negs can be (of course I could just go with
unmounted slides, but somehow that seems "unnatural") ;-)  Anyway, after
looking at these two images, and the grain differences, among other
differences, I think I'm sticking to slides...

 > My initial reaction is the negatives grain is more pronounced and the colors
> are slightly shifted toward red.  This is most clear in the hill on the left
> of the frame.  With an "auto-levels" adjustment in photoshop, you can get an
> almost exact match to the slide.  However, the negative requires a little
> more work.  A quick way there auto-levels followed by adjusting the hue +9.

I tried your suggested adjustments and with version 5.5 Photoshop and my
monitor it doesn't work, but I'm not color corrected.

Art