[filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:07:43 +1100

"Jeff Scribner" <scribjs@scribnerdesign.com> writes:
> I have not shot Fuji Velvia or any of Kodak's professional slides, so I
can
> not comment on them.

Velvia produces more saturated colour than Provia 100F but the grain is not
quite as fine (but it is virtually invisible at 2700ppi).  The density of
Velvia can cause similar problems with scanning that 100F or Kodachrome do.
I haven't got around to scanning most of my velvia slides.

> scan.  I contend that the use of graduated natural density filters and

I'll have to try this.

> As someone has mentioned, slides are easier to store and look at as well.
> use 3-ring binders to hold my slides.

You can do the same with negs and prints.  I presume there would be
companies in other countries like albox (www.albox.com.au) that produce
archival storage sheets.  Albox have them for slides, negs and prints so you
can put combinations of them into the same folders.  However, I've mainly
used them for sheets to store negs and slides.  It would be nice to at least
put an index print in with the negs.

> Again when I have time, I'll rescan the T-Max and see how it goes.

I've tried scanning a couple of silver based films using the LS30.  Vuescan
was essential because with Nikonscan the film was so dense it came up with
nothing useful.  But for my purposes T400CN eliminates the density problem
and has amazingly fine grain.

Rob