----- Original Message -----
From: "Alessandro Pardi" <alessandro.pardi@inferentiadnm.com>

Hi Bob,

I always work with raw files I get from Vuescan: as Austin said, they're
plain tif files, and Vuescan apparently saves them with profile information,
so that when I open them in Photoshop I get the profile conversion dialog
with my scanner's profile selected.
I only scan B&W images, and raw files give me the best in flexibility (e.g.
I can pick the green channel only, which with my Canon FS4000 is by far the
sharpest and less noisy). If you work with color images, though, getting the
colors right may be a tough job: that's where a proper software helps most.