[filmscanners] Re: Film types and scanning

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Film types and scanning
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:28:28 +1100

Julian Robinson <jrobinso@pcug.org.au> wrote:
> This must be a special week, we have BOTH Rob AND
> shAf back!!!  (My apologies if I have missed a few thousand
> posts by either of you as I am an intermittent reader now).

Thanks Julian. :)  No, I only just rejoined the list since I have time to
read it
being at my parents' place in Canberra.

> Hope you enjoyed yr time in Japan Rob.

It was very educational!  I am considering going back in 2004.  Wish I had
been there to photograph autumn.

>  I would be interested in the name of the low contrast slide
> film (or any low contrast slide film that anyone knows of) if
> you discover it.

Fujichrome Trebi.  It's 100ASA.  I just wish I knew which of the mounted
slides I have here are the Trebi!  The only way I can find out now is to rip
some mounts apart.

> About grain, I suspect that it happens for aliasing reasons that
> most neg film just works particularly badly with our 2700dpi scanners

I agree, although I have to say I've been impressed with the grain (or
rather the lack of it) in some Superia 100 and 200 negs I just scanned.
This may partly be due to improvements in Vuescan.  IMO Vuescan tended to
highlight grain in areas such as sky in early versions of the software.  The
results I am getting with the current version seem much better.

Rob