[filmscanners] RE: Film types and scanning

Hi Julian,

> Austin - I think your hi-res 35mm scanner is what gives you a different
> perspective on grain.  It does seem the 2700dpi is the "sweet
> spot" - well,
> the opposite of the sweet spot, so maybe a sour spot - for scanning.

Yes, I agree.  Though, at 2540, MF film looks stunning, with no grain
issues.  Part of the equation may be the scanner design.  It's designed
exactly like an enlarger, and is over 2' tall, with the light source (a
fluorescent tube in a mixing chamber) at the bottom, then the filter stage,
then a negative holder stage, the lense, bellows, and CCD at the top.  The
CCD and lense stage move to change magnification...and it's a real enlarging
lense, a Rodigon APO flat field 80/4.

Regards,

Austin