[filmscanners] Re: Multipass scans

Austin Franklin wrote:
>> "fuzzier" images
>> or not?  Obviously, it must...but whether it's
>> significant/noticeable is another issue.<<
>>
>> My understanding is that the multipass is performed by resampling
>> from the CCD and does not move the film after each pass.
>
> Yes, of course, how silly of me!  Obviously, the scanner has to
> support that...

Don't flagelate yourself too harshly Austin. Rob Geraghty started this
thread by talking about the Nikon LS-30, which DOESN'T support
single-pass multi-scanning. In a few trials with my LS-30 and Vuescan
multi-pass multi-scanning I found only a slight loss of sharpness, and
not much benefit in shadow detail either. Scan times, of course, were
longer...

Peter Marquis-Kyle