[filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:49:32 +1100

"Al Kiecker" <alankiecker@charter.net> wrote:
> Is this a common problem, i.e., losing the shadows, when scanning slides?
> have been planning on going exactly this route - shoot slides and scan
when
> I want prints.

Yes, but it depends on the density of the slides and the dynamic range of
the scanner.  The LEDs used in the Nikon scanners are not very bright and
IMO don't penetrate slides well.  Having said that, I still far prefer the
results from scanning well exposed slides any day, because I can refer to
the slide for the colour balance if I need to, rather than guess with a neg.
The Nikon scanners' IR cleaning function doesn't work well with Kodachrome
slides.

Rob