[filmscanners] Re: Multipass scans

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Multipass scans
  • From: "Rob Geraghty" <robg@wordweb.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:43:10 +1100

"Al Bond" <al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Multipassing will reduce noise and, if it is just noise which is hiding the
detail, that
>would improve the shadow detail.

Yup, I know what it should do in principle, but in practice the difference
doesn't seem to be worth the extra time it takes (wish I had an LS2000 or
another Nikon that can do single pass multiscan).

> How about trying Vuescan's long exposure option instead?  Because of the
> increased exposure time for the shadow pass, that should bring
> out more detail.

I tried this as well, but it looks like the dense parts of the Provia 100F
and Kodachrome slides just cut too much of the light of the scanner's LEDs.
It's frustrating to hold a slide up to the light and see so much detail that
the scanner can't see!  Anyway, it's a limitation of the hardware and I
can't afford to buy a newer scanner like the SS4000 which has a different
light source and bigger dynamic range.

Thanks for the suggestions Al!

Rob