[filmscanners] Re: My best scanner/film combinations

>> Is this a common problem, i.e., losing the shadows, when scanning
>> slides?

>With "less capable" scanners, or operators who don't have much experience,
>yes...but...

And how does the Minolta DiMage Scan Dual III rate?

> >I have been planning on going exactly this route - shoot slides and
> >scan when I want prints.

>...why?

Because I almost always want to project slides.  I can always go from slides
to prints if I want, but its much more difficult to go the other way around.
I love the brilliance of a well exposed slide and the impact of a wall size
image projected onto a large screen.

I also find slides easier to file and retrieve than negatves and prints.

And costs enter in here too.  Fuji Sensia 100 including processing is less
than $8/roll.  It costs me $12/roll just to process a roll of print film.
Perhaps just getting a proof sheet then printing only those I want would be
more economical.

>> The tonality of color negative film is better than slide film, the
>>resolution of both, for today's films, is nearly identical, with negative
>>film having a slight edge, you have better exposure latitude with negative

I agree with some of these points (especially exposure latitude), but with
commercial processing I have pretty much lost control over exposure control
in the camera.  The printing process wipes out anything I may have done in
the camera.

>>film...and negative film scans better.

I had heard the opposite.  Please fill me in here; maybe scanning is not a
satisfactory way to proceed.

-- al